9 VITAL REASONS TO KEEP ROE, by Lindsey H. Green
- Women are human beings & have the right have sex & control what happens to their bodies after they have sex. To not trust women to make their own choices is insulting, paternalistic and wrong, and there should be no shame in having sex or using modern medicine to control one’s own reproduction.
- Consent to have sex is not to be confused or conflated with consent to carry a pregnancy to term and birth a child. These are separate terms of consent and one should not be confused or conflated with another.
- Criminalizing abortion can be a death sentence to pregnant people because pregnancy and childbirth are 14X more deadly than safe abortion, therefore, a forced pregnancy pre-viability and forced childbirth both infringe on a pregnant person’s right to life guaranteed by the 14th Amendment as that person’s life is put in jeopardy by being forced to carry a pregnancy to term, and anything less than the point of viability as a demarcation point for the enforcement of abortion restrictions is not enough time for pregnant people to first find out they are pregnant and then make the necessary arrangements to obtain an abortion, such as saving up enough money for the procedure. Women still make less money than men do for the same jobs and these social issues must be taken into account.
- Criminalizing abortion exacerbates poverty for already poor and vulnerable populations.
- Fetal cells from elective abortion are needed for research purposes to save lives as they are required to create vaccines to eradicate disease and suffering. Elective abortion is therefore vital to a thriving, healthy, disease-free society.
- Without elective abortion, women are unable to live autonomous, free lives and pursue their professions of choice unburdened, and no woman should be traumatically forced to produce another human for any reason anyway.
- A society is only as advanced as it is feminist – how far it goes to grant equal rights, pay and dignity to everyone.
- The only time we ever consider being entitled to another person’s body is when a person is pregnant, and that is discrimination on the basis of sex because this only largely affects women, and that is unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment, which grants equal protection to everyone under the law, and that incudes the right to life, liberty and property.
- Caring about women, girls, human health and human beings in general means keeping abortion legal, safe, affordable and accessible. 70,000 women a year die from unsafe abortions around the world. No other advanced democracy criminalizes abortion.